Sunday, March 30, 2014

What It Takes To Truly Be A Transcendentalist

             So how hard can it be to become a transcendentalist? How difficult can it be to simplify life to such means and demean materialism? What would I eliminate?
            First of all, I easily want to clean out my working space! My shelves are flooded with pointless knick-knacks, magazines, and doodles cluttered up over the years. It is as if each and every object rightfully captures a moment in time that defines who I am. Somewhat collectively, all the junk may identify my history, but it certainly does not help me progress into the future. There are days I feel like aggressively knocking down the towering racks of hoarded papers. I just want that avalanche to happen, to cleanse my soul of the clingy past articles that are taking up the space for future documents. I have the same situation with the accumulation of shoes and clothing I have that assumably might be used one day. As much as I tried to convince myself, that lie never set me free. I knew that shirt I got in tenth grade was cute and fitting, but keeping it is not doing me a favor. Therefore, I must make a charitable donation to an orphanage soon to make true purpose of the stuff I own.
              It is one thing to yearn for organization, but it is another to rid oneself of valued and luxurious possessions in attempt to truly grasp transcendentalism. If I must do so, my TV and desktops would go out the window. Sure I will not enjoy the big screens of entertainment, but hey I got my laptop! - not a change as a drastic as you would think, but it is a start. Also, I would not mind to take away my bed frame! As long as I still have my mattress...
            In the process of trying to clear out the extra baggage, however, I will not dump out any previously read books or painted drawings. I also cannot give up my phone, for I refuse to cut off accessible mobile connection with friends and family.
            Transcendentalism, to answer the question, is quite hard. But only a true transcendentalist would do the job with a breeze. Otherwise, those with half-hearted intentions will need the upmost efforts to simplify their lives.        
 

No comments:

Post a Comment